A senior minister will continue to work with a woman calling for access to medicinal cannabis despite her being investigated by police.
Toni-Marie Connolly (Formerly Toni-Marie Matich), co-founder of United in Compassion New Zealand (UICNZ), was last year thrust into the public eye through her work with Children's Commissioner Russell Wills, the NZ Drug Foundation and Associate Minister of Health Peter Dunne, to broaden access to medicinal cannabis.
Police confirmed last month they were investigating Connolly, who allegedly owes $78,000 to hundreds of ticket-buyers.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s promise to legalise marijuana for recreational use could generate up to 5 billion Canadian dollars in taxes for Canada’s federal and provincial governments, a study says.
CIBC World Markets said its assessment is not comprehensive, but that with Ottawa and provincial governments facing revenue crunches in the wake of falling commodity prices, it is worthwhile exploring how much new revenue could be generated from legal marijuana.
In it, analyst Avery Shenfeld put forth various scenarios to try to pinpoint the size of the Canadian market for cannabis, using Statistics Canada surveys and a study in the International Journal of Drug Policy on the estimated number of pot smokers in the country, as well as Colorado’s experience.
The summer before he got sick, Nelson teen Alex Renton grew his first and only cannabis plants with his mother Rose, in a half-barrel in the garden. She'd told him no, originally – it wasn't worth it. She'd seen how cannabis convictions had ruined the lives of others.
But her oldest son was nothing if not determined – he felt strongly that medicinal cannabis should be available to all. He would follow his mum around with a laptop, telling her she had to read what he'd discovered, and when he turned 18 he voted for the Cannabis Party, believing a coalition might mean a change in drug law. Growing a plant shouldn't be illegal, he thought – and anyway, look at the harm alcohol caused amongst people his age.
A woman who may have otherwise died from her regular severe seizures has been granted approval for medical marijuana funding.
Alisha Butt, 20, has the mentality of a toddler and is unable to speak.
Her seizures had presented a huge problem for specialists who were unable to adequately treat her, leading to the possibility she could end up in a coma from one and die.
Former union boss Helen Kelly has written to Associate Health Minister Peter Dunne to seek permission to use medicinal cannabis.
Ms Kelly, who has lung cancer, said she hoped her application would be granted as soon as possible.
"[Dunne] said it took him an hour once he got the last application, so I'm hoping to hear today," she said.
David Slack talks medicinal marijuana with workers rights advocate Helen Kelly, who now uses cannabis oil to help ease her pain through her fight with cancer.
She has called for a referendum with two questions, one about medical cannabis and the other about the criminalisation of cannabis.
A South Canterbury MP has rebuffed campaigners' claims New Zealand drug laws encourage the use of illegal synthetic cannabis.
MP for Waitaki, National's Jacqui Dean, rejected the Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party's claim people were being "forced to synthetics" on Thursday.
In a written statement, the party said "the black market has made safer natural alternatives too hard to find for many people".
- Leafly Kicks Off 2016 with Star-Studded Cannabis Comedy Tour - Business Wire (press release)
- Health Minister intends to distribute cannabis only to deserving - Arutz Sheva
- Marijuana, Cannabis, Ganja, Weed, Grass, Pot, Reefer, or Maryjane: What's In a Name? - Marijuana.com (blog)
- Jason Donovan blasts 'deluded' people claiming cannabis doesn't lead to harder drugs - Mirror.co.uk
- Cannabis party candidate joins the race for London mayor - Evening Standard
- Cannabis clubs provide a valuable service - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner
- Marcus Musante Announces California Congress District 44 Campaign At High Times Cannabis Cup - The Weed Blog (blog)
- Spark a Super Bowl Party Conversation: Can Cannabis Save Football? - Marijuana Politics (blog)
- Cannabis Cartman Christie Attacks Reefer Madness Rubio - Marijuana Politics (blog)
- Native American church fights for right to use cannabis & peyote - RT